blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Qq is for Quiet



Summary: A young cricket is sad to find that he cannot make a sound. He meets up with various other insects but every time he tries to greet them, there is no sound. Paired with Eric Carle’s signature illustrations plus the fun ending, this book is one of our favorites.
ABC Ideas:
letter1drop2
I decided to add a little fine-motor skills practice along with our letter learning. I gathered up plastic letter tiles and placed them in a muffin tin. Then I filled a small bowl up with tinted water and gave my daughter an eye-dropper.
letterqdrop
Then we went over all the letter and numbers in the tin for review. Next I told her that she could only squirt water on the letter Q tiles. This was a new activity for her and she loved it! While she was getting the letter Q’s wet, we reviewed the sound it makes.
letterQplaydough
During the week we pulled out our playdough and rolled a bunch of letter Q’s. She used it as a magnifying glass to search for our letter Q objects (which were printed out from Homeschool Creations.)
Qqhandwriting

We went over the poem and handwriting coloring sheet.
Theme Ideas:
loudquietgame
I printed out quiet and loud cards from Homeschool Share. It was originally meant as a lapbook element, but it also works perfectly on sorting mats. We also had fun being very noisy. Then when I held up the quiet card, everyone had to be quiet.
Bible:
Jesus Tells the Storm to Be Quiet!
Mark 4:39  “He got up and ordered the wind to stop. He said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down. And it was completely calm.”
stormbag
We read this story together and talked about how awesome it was that the winds and waves obeyed Jesus! Then I gave my daughter a “storm” bag.
stormbag2

She moved the gel/glitter filler around to find the word quiet.
Directions: Print out the word “Quiet!”  Tape it to the back of a plastic bag. Fill the bag with hair gel and glitter. Close the bag and tape it shut.
Downloads:
Letter Qq poem and handwriting page
Other ABC Resources
ABC Printables from Homeschool Creations
Letter of the Week Curriculum from COAH
ABC Flashcards and More from 1+1+1=1
ABC Letter Crafts
Songs for Saplings ABC Verses
image

1 comment:

Sarahronk said...

Neat idea with the hair jel and glitter! I think with my two I'd need to super glue and duct tape it shut :-)

I might be doing that eye dropper activity TODAY... Water: a favorite always but in small proportion/quality for impending clean-up ...win on both sides!