blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Little Hands-on ABC’s and 123’s ~ Eye Spy Letters

little handson Abc 123

Both of my daughters love Eye Spy and Look and Find Books so I thought that making an Eye Spy Letter activity would be the perfect way to help Juliette to be excited about working with and learning her letters.

IMG_1696This activity was really simple to put together.  First, I picked a letter that I wanted to focus on and then looked through magazines for words that included that letter somewhere in the word.  Then I just glued the words onto one side of a file folder.

IMG_1698

Finally, I added a Magnifying Glass that I found when I was cleaning out a box of my teaching supplies.

IMG_1728

I knew both girls would be excited to use it to “Spy” the letter.

IMG_1730

To play, I told Juliette that we were looking for the letter “A”.  I showed her one and then she found the rest.  I had her point to it and then cover it with a wooden pattern block so that she would know that she already found that one. The pattern blocks worked really well, but any type of chip or even buttons would work too.  I included words with capital A and lowercase a to increase the difficulty.  I did not intend on using both uppercase and lowercase and started with just finding Capital A until Juliette said “Look Mommy, this is "A too.” 

You can continue this activity by having them find any other letters that are one the page.

Little Hands-on ABC’s and 123’s is a bi-monthly feature that focuses on practical and simple ideas that you can do at home to help your tot develop their letter and number skills.

Michelle

4 comments:

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

Love this! So easy to put together and if I wanted to do this on the fly, I could grab a magazine cover and use that instead of cutting and pasting! Thanks for sharing!

e-Expeditions said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Pennie Baughman said...

This is such a cute idea. My kids will love it  - especially with being able to use the magnifying lenses.

Lindsi said...

What a fun way to do "I spy"! It's a favorite at our house too! I'd sure love you to share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html