blank
blank

Compassion

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Once Upon a Book ~ Pumpkin Patch Parable

Photobucket





The Pumpkin Patch Parable
by Liz Curtis Higgs

Summary: Tells a parable in which the farmer turns a simple pumpkin into a glorious sight to illustrate that God wants His children to be full of light.

Bible Verse for Younger Tots: "For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"
2 Corinthians 4:6

Bible Verse for Older Tots: "For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

Pumpkin Patch Parable Mural

The Bible and art activities this week all work together to make a mural put together by your whole family.




Bible Time Craft

Jesus Shines Pumpkin (from Danielle's place):

- Print of the pumpkin printable
- follow directions on Danielle's Place




Art Time

Family Pumpkin Patch

You'll Need:

- Orange and brown paint
- Blue, green and white construction paper
- Glue
- Your family

1. Paint the palms of each family member orange. Be sure to add some brown paint on the two middle fingers to make a stem and press hands onto construction paper.



2. Let it dry and then cut around the pumpkin (I used yellow so it looks like the pumpkin is shining!).

3. Glue to a big piece of green and blue construction paper (cut the blue construction paper in half and glue to the green so you have grass and a sky).



4. Add the cloud Bible verse on top of the family pumpkin patch of pumpkins



5. Glue the Jesus Shine booklet next to the clouds. Hang your Pumpkin Patch Parable Mural up for the month of October.

Song Time

This Little Light of Mine
from EBible teacher

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
Hide it under a bushel, NO! I'm gonna let it shine...
All around the neighborhood, I'm gonna let it shine...
Don't let Satan pfft- it out! I'm gonna let it shine...
Let it shine 'til Jesus comes. I'm gonna let it shine...

Snack Time

English Muffin Pumpkins: Tint some cream cheese orange and spread it on your english muffin (opt: add raisin or chocolate chips to make a jack o lantern).

Want to see what's coming next (and books we've done in the past)? Click here to see our Once Upon a Book webpage!


6 comments:

Crystal said...

I was just making my christmas/birthday lists and need some advice. Son #1 will be 3 and son #2 will be 16months at Christmas. I want to mostly get them learning toys or books. I would LOVE, LOve, LoVe you to do a post or just email what you think some of the "must-have" gifts would be. Thanks
crystalboom at hotmail dot com

Deana, TFHSM said...

Oh, my goodness! I was just talking to my mom the other day and saying what a wonderful book "The Pumpkin Patch Parable" is! I bought it at a yard sale when Laynie was an infant, and we've read it every year. We love that story! Thanks for the great ideas for use with it! I can't wait to try them out!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad to find this. The preschool where I work has multiple copies of this book but it's new to me, now I'm inspired. Thanks!

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for sharing! We did this as a lesson in our small group this year and the kids LOVED it. Next year, I think we might have to incorporate your hand painting. I love any craft where I get a print of my childrens' hands.

Here's the link to our Pumpkin Parable night:
http://modderhood.blogspot.com/2010/11/pumpkin-patch-parable.html

Margie said...

I must admit that I am not understanding the directions for the pumpkin book...I am sorry. How are the pages arranged? Or how do you fold them to work? Thanks for clarification!

Jolanthe said...

Margie,

Since that was posted via Danielle's Place {we just linked to it}, you'll have to contact her to ask for more specific directions. Here's a link to the page:

http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/halloween.html#pumpkinbooklet

Jolanthe