blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Now I Know My ABC's ~ A is for Alligator

It's time for some fun alphabet crafts!! We hope you enjoy these! If you are new, you can visit our ABC webpage to find links to any other letters we have done, letters (with books listed) coming up, as well as the PDF of the cover sheet for your ABC notebook!



The Lady with the Alligator Purse
Adapted by Nadine Wescott

Summary: A fun lyrical rhyme all about Tiny Tim and his adventures as he drinks bathwater, eats soap, and even tries to eat the bathtub. Wonderful illustrations with a different twist to the story!

I'm a sucker for a fun story ~ especially one that is also a song! When we started going through the alphabet this year, we began doing a little craft each week that looked like the letter we were talking about. I found packs of foam sheets (5 1/2 x 8 1/2 size) at our Dollar Tree and also Michaels, and they make a great squishy base for our letter crafts.

Our story this week focuses on an alligator, so we used this great idea from No Time for Flashcards.



What You'll Need:
  • Green foam sheet or construction paper
  • White foam triangles (or construction paper)
  • Black sharpie or marker
  • Googly eyes
  • Glue
How to make the 'A' Alligator:
  1. Cut an uppercase 'A' out of the foam sheet or construction paper. I used a foam sheet that was about 4" x 5" in size. Also cut two triangles from the green foam to use for the eyes.
  2. Cut small triangles out of the white foam to use as teeth for the alligator.
  3. Turn the 'A' onto its side and glue the green triangles to the 'A' so that they look like eyes popping up.
  4. Glue googly eyes onto the the green triangles.
  5. Add teeth for your alligator and enjoy!

9 comments:

Dana Brunner said...

I really love all your ABC crafts and plan on using your ideas for my daycare. Where is the link to download and print all the letters.

Thanks

Dana

Lori said...

thank you so much for sharing all your awesome ideas ladies! I love totally tots! we just started our alpha-bet, it is our first year homeschooling and my 4 year is doing this project. thanks again!

Here is what he has done so far: Our ABC's Post

Melissa said...

I get my letter templates from DLTK (http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/index.html)... I couldn't find any letter templates on this post... but that isn't stopping me! I am SOOO going to do this with my little girl!  

Roxanne said...

thanks for sharing this awesome idea! my son loved it!
http://brily-journeythrugod.blogspot.com/2012/08/1st-day.html

Robin said...

We have loved doing all the letter A activities. They especially loved the alligator! We look forward to doing more of your letter crafts.


k@cbp said...

Thank you so much for this website. I have spent so much time trying to create a new and fun way to teach the alphabet and you have given me many ideas and printables that make it so much easier for me. Five stars*****

Erin Szarban said...

Loved the book for our A is for Alligator week, but we made an alligator purse for the project instead, pasted an Aa on the outside, and stuffed pictures of things that began with A inside. We used the project solo along with a small a apple project found on another site and plan on doing similar contruction paper letters for the rest of the alphabet.

Amanda T said...

My 4-year old loved doing this! It turned out so cute! Thanks! http://thefrugalreport.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-is-for-alligator-craft.html

v-ro said...

I share your ideas on my blog this morning: http://www.surlescheminsduquebec.ca/2013/11/03/activites-maison-c-comme/
Thanks!