blank
blank

Compassion

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Once Upon A Book ~ I’d Be Your Hero

Photobucket

I’d Be Your Hero: A Royal Tale of Godly Character

by Kathryn O’Brien


Summary:  A unique book that captures the special relationship between a boy and his mom, as he seeks to attain the scriptural traits he has been taught.  (If you like this book, you’ll LOVE The Squire and the Scroll by Jennie Bishop, a book filled with sword fights, bravery, and honor in action.)

Bible Verse:  Whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Math / Fine Motor Skills

053

Supplies:

  • envelopes (10)
  • castle note cards (10) (ours are from Michaels) or die-cut of a castle (which you could find at the teacher store) or create a pattern yourself
  • marker
  • knights, horses, kings, or queen action figures (optional) or use other counting manipulative

Directions:

  • Label castle note cards 1-10 and do the same with the envelopes using a marker.
  • Have your Tot match the numbered castle to the correctly numbered envelope. 

054

If this proves challenging to them, place the correct castle in each envelope and simply have them take the castle out of the envelope. 

057

This exercise alone is a great fine motor activity, and proved just right for Gabe.  I asked him to find a specific numbered envelope.  As he gingerly pulled each castle out of its respective envelope, I reminded him of the number.

Variation(s): 

  • Add some action to your castles!  Have your Tot place the correct number of “counters” on each numbered card.  (We ended up having sword fights all the way to the castle.)

060

  • Color your castles!
  • Help your Tot place the castles or envelopes in numerical order.  (A little beyond our learning right now!)

Craft:  Target practice

068

Supplies:

  • white, yellow, and red construction paper
  • scissors
  • glue
  • stickers or paper scraps

Directions:

  • Create a target, similar to the one in the book.  (As you can see, mine isn’t perfect because I wanted something quick and I just wanted to spend time with Gabe.) 
  • If possible, you could have your Tot trace various sized circles onto the appropriate paper.  With child scissors allow them to even cut out the circles and glue the target together with some assistance. 

065

  • Now for the fun part.  Have your Tot place the stickers (or paper scraps) inside the smallest circle.  My little guy was so proud of his target . . . he showed everyone who came over to our house.


Tot Tray:  Spooning

 062

Supplies:

  • spoon
  • jewels
  • “treasure box”

Directions

  • With spoon in hand, have your Tot transfer “jewels” into the treasure box.
  • Take it one step further . . . as Gabe was spooning jewels we talked about how instead of storing money, that we can store up treasures in heaven.  

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy,

and where thieves do not break in and steal.  (Matthew 6:20)

After discussing this, we then put our family memory verses into the treasure box to be used at each meal. 

 

069
Because . . .

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
   By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
   do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
   that I might not sin against you. 
(Psalm 119: 9-11)

 

071

 

P.S. Our memory system can be found at Simply Charlotte Mason.  And our scripture cards, which are too fun, are from Memory Cross

Songs: I’m a Knight in Armor (sung to the tune of “I’m a Little Teapot”)

I'm a knight in armor, look at me.
See how shiny I can be.
With my visor up my eyes you'll see.
But with it down it protects me.

Coloring pages:  Check out these great armor of God coloring pages!

Involving Older Siblings:  I have found that for my Tot School to be successful, it is best for me to involve Gabe’s older brothers. 

002

Gabe likes them around and it gives the older children a chance to essentially play the role of teacher. 

003 

For this theme, Asher and Ezra helped create Gabe’s sensory bin. (All of our supplies came from Michaels.)

004 

However, Gabe was NOT thrilled with the blue sand.  Which occurred almost immediately after this picture was taken! 

006

Phew . . . we did more, but that is all I am going to share with you!  Enjoy!

Want to see what's coming next (and books we've done in the past)? Click here to see our Once Upon a Book webpage!


signature button Jodi

2 comments:

Jdaniel4smom said...

I love the treasure box! I love the treasures you placed in it. 

Michelle Fotiades Eichhorn said...

This is absolutely wonderful! It's especially interesting to see how you make this multi-age. And a target . . . how much more boy can you get?!