blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's in the Tub ~ Big Machines

Our March theme here at Totally Tots is Big Machines. Here are a few simple ideas of what to include in your bin for your Tot to explore!

What's included:
(1) bag of inexpensive coffee beans
(1) package of Construction Trucks
(1) quiet time activity mat


This bin was a major hit and a snap to put together. I loved incorporating the sense of smell to this bin with the coffee beans. My daughter (30 months) and my son (4.5 yrs) both have asked to get this bin out many times.

The quiet time mat came from my sweet and talented sister-in-law. It has snaps, buttons, a zipper, a buckle and a tie. All 5 Caterpillar Construction Machines fit into the zippered pouch too! The back side has a racetrack.

Aaron's favorite thing these days are trucks and construction vehicles so he jumped in to join the fun. Those machines were hard at work scooping, lifting, pushing, hauling and dumping!


They both loved running their fingers through this bin. Aaron pretended his arm was a crane loading and unloading the beans. This bin encouraged quiet. I think the aroma of the coffee beans and letting their fingers run through them was relaxing.

Lydia use the bulldozer most, pushing piles of "dirt" back and forth. But her favorite thing was scooping a handful and slowly letting it trickle down. I was a bit concerned the option to play out of the bin would turn into a mess, but they've kept it all on the mat each time they've played with the exception of a few run-aways.

What's in the Tub? is a monthly feature that focuses on fun sensory tub ideas to go along with the monthly theme at Totally Tots. Click here to see past sensory tub ideas.
 


13 comments:

Heather Woods said...

I love this mat!! Does your sister-in-law have these for sale somewhere maybe esty?? I'm very interested, my boys would love this! I also love the coffee bean idea! I have stale coffee I've been trying to figure out some purpose for it other than drinking obviously. Thanks for this ideas.

sophina said...

Loving the mat, does your sister-in-law have a pattern that follow somewhere??

Sarah Ronk said...

I just sent her a message asking about the pattern! I'll keep you posted on what she says!

Sarah Ronk said...

I'm trying to convince her to set up an etsy shop, I just sent her a message to see if she'd share the pattern... I'll keep you posted!

Jolanthe said...

thinking she SHOULD set up an Etsy shop!! :)

Heather Woods said...

thanks so much.

Amber said...

So cute!!!  I just love this idea, and I never would have thought about using coffee, but that's because I would be planning on drinking it!

Michelle Marckesano said...

Oh my goodness the smell while they were playing must have been amazing.  This is so cute, I especially love the playtime mat.  My girls would love this bin thanks for sharing  :)

Chodge2517 said...

i love this play mat! are they available to purchase?

Tracey Kryskowiak said...

New here and trying to figure this all out...Do you keep the each theme tub available or do you re-use the tub and just store the items for another time?  I'm thinking of starting this soon with my daughter (she is just a little too young yet) and I'm wondering if I'm going to have lots of tubs piling up or if I'm supposed to only have each theme around for a month (or so).

Mary Jane said...

What a wonderful idea. My kiddos will absolutely love this. I love the mat. Very cute.

Sara M. said...

 You can definitely do what works best for you! We like to rotate the items in them to keep the kids from getting bored :)

Gina said...

What a creative and  fun idea!  I can't wait to try this with my little guy!