blank
blank

Compassion

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Once Upon a Book ~ First Day of Winter

Photobucket


The First Day of Winter
by Denise Fleming


Summary: The first ten days of winter each bring a small trimming that is used to make the most perfect snowman ever!

Bible Verse

"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation." 2 Corinthians 5:17

Sensory/Tactile

Bring some snow into the house for the sensory tub. Some options include spooning the snow into a dish, watching it melt, making snowballs, or helping your child to make a mini snowman to put into the freezer.

Crafts

Make these cute little snowman using some common household supplies. Click here for instructions.




Music/Songs

Sing the words (to the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas) as you read the book together or enjoy one of the two fingerplay songs below.

Five Little Snowman
(Author Unknown)

5 little Snowman standing in a row,
Each had a hat and a big red bow.
Out came the sun and it shone all day,
1 Little snowman melted away.
4 Little Snowman standing in a row,
Each had a hat and a big red bow.
Out came the the sun and it shone all day,
1 Little snowman melted away.
(continue singing until there are no snowmen left)


Snowy Snowman
(Author Unknown)

I am a snowman made of snow (stand still)
I stand quite still at Ten below.
With a big long carrot for a nose (point to nose)
And worn out shoes to make my toes (point to toes)
I have two apples for my eyes, (point to eyes)
And a woolen coat about this size. (measure with hands)
I have a scarf that's warm and red. (grab neck)
And a funny hat upon my head. (tap hands on head)
The sun is coming out…… Oh dear! (Look worried)
The sun is melting me I fear (slowly sink to floor)
Oh my, I was so nice and round,
Now I'm just a puddle on the ground! (sit or lay on floor)


Counting

Follow along in the book and count all the trimmings that are added each day.

Cooking




Make edible snowballs. This was good, yummy, messy fun for my little ones!

Ingredients:
3/4 c peanut butter
1/2 c honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c dry oatmeal
1/4 c graham cracker crumb
powdered sugar


Mix all ingredients (except powdered sugar) until blended together well. Use a spoon to get a scoop of batter and form a ball using your hands. Roll it in powdered sugar.

Art

Make snow paintings with blue construction paper, white paint, and Q-tips (cotton swabs). My little boys really enjoyed this!




Want to see what's coming next (and books we've done in the past)? Click here to see our Once Upon a Book webpage!


1 comment:

Conservative Knit Mom said...

I really love your snowman! Wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing!