blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Now I Know My ABCs ~ Letter Vv is for Violin


Summary: A wonderful children’s book introducing the primary instruments of the orchestra.
Letter Theme Ideas:
We happen to have an old violin hanging on our wall. So for the first day of our Letter V week, I pointed to it and asked, “What is hanging on our wall?” My girls answered, “Violin,” which I then asked, “What sound do you hear at the beginning of the word? " We talked about what a violin does, where we might see one, and what it sounds like. Then we read the book, Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin!

vocal-2
We were also talking about vocal chords the same week my toddler was learning about letter V. We talked about how our voice can sound high or low. That depends on how thick our vocal chords are. We used this rubber band example to hear the different pitches. We also talked about how the rubber bands were vibrating to make the sound. I thought this worked perfectly with our letter V study!

We viewed Sesame Street's Letter V video on YouTube and also watched a couple of violin performances online.
lettervletter
I printed off some letter pictures from Homeschool Share. Instead of creating a booklet, I had my girls play a beginning letter sort. For my tot, I had picture cards of items beginning with the letter D and the letter V. While saying the name of each picture, she sorted them into the correct pile.
Vvhandwriting
We went over our Letter V handwriting sheet and poem. You can download it under the Letter V heading on the ABC printables site.

Here’s a violin letter craft created by Jolanthe that is a perfect addition to this theme.
Other ABC Resources
ABC Printables from Homeschool Creations
Letter of the Week Curriculum from COAH
ABC Flashcards and More from 1+1+1=1
ABC Letter Crafts
Songs for Saplings ABC Verses

No comments: