blank
blank

Compassion

Monday, October 10, 2011

Touch, Feel, Learn ~ Healthy Habits

touch feel learn

Its time to explore the world around us and learn how to keep from spreading germs.

IMG_6344

It seems like someone in our house has had a cold for the past month, so I decided it was time for a little reminder on some healthy habits like not sneezing on your siblings and washing hands (with soap). 

You’ll Need:

  • Cocoa powder or glitter
  • white bread or paper towels 
  • spray bottle 
  • tissues
  • soap and water

IMG_6338_edited-1

We started out talking about why we sneeze into a tissue or or our arm.  First I “sneezed” (sprayed water) on Aiden and we talked about how this action spread germs.  Then I “sneezed” on Aiden’s hands

IMG_6340

and had him shake my hand to show that my hand were now wet, which meant he shared his germs. 

IMG_6341

  Then I had him “sneeze” into a tissue and shake my hand. 

IMG_6342

Both our hands were dry ~ no germs spread!  We also talked sneezing into your arm if you don’t have a tissue.

IMG_6343

To demonstrate how important is to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds,  he rubbed cocoa powder on his hands.  I had him wash his hand with just water and then wipe his hand on a piece of white bread.  Hum ~ there was still a lot of “dirt and germs” on his hand. 

IMG_6348_edited-1 

Then he washed his hand with soap (making sure he wash in between his fingers).

IMG_6349

Clean hands!

IMG_6351

Touch, Feel, Learn is a fun feature that focuses on science and nature activities for little ones.  Click here to see past Touch, Feel, Learn ideas. the

Cindy

4 comments:

Bytesofmemory said...

Okay I seriously love this hands on about germs and washing hands!  I need to do this before we get to much further into cold and flu season!

Beth said...

Sooooooooooo clever!! LOVE IT! I am totally going to use that. Thanks,
Beth
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com

Allison said...

We did this today with my 6 and 3 year olds and they loved it!  We read the book "Germs Are Not For Sharing" by Elizabeth Verdick as part of the lesson, which tied in well.  Thank you!

KimberRN said...

So, I realize this was posted a long time ago...but as an RN, I just wanted to say that sneezing into your elbow is a better choice than a tissue as far as spreading germs go...and you should always wash even after using a tissue, because germs can go through the tissues.