blank
blank

Compassion

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Once Upon A Book: Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Photobucket
image
 
by Jan Brett
 
Summary: Goldilocks enters the Bears' home uninvited and eats all of their food! She continues to snoop around the bears' house and makes a mess in the process. Eventually the bears return, and find Goldilocks sleeping in baby bear's bed! This story is a perfect way to discuss manners and trespassing.
 
Bible Verse
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14-15)

Math

We used our Bear Family Counters to count and make patterns.

 


Three Bears Size Sorting Game

This was Jonah's favorite activity and we've played it over and over for a week straight! I gathered items from all over the house for this activity. I found things that I had a small, medium, and large size for each item. I made a small, medium, and large bear as a sorting mat. Since Goldilocks made a big mess, Jonah had to help sort the items for "Baby, Mama, & Papa" Bear.


Supplies: Small, Medium, and Large Size of each item to sort. Some items I used...


Letter Sounds:
I chose to focus on the Letter P for Porridge, based on what my son needed to work on, feel free to focus on the Letter B for Bear. We made a bowl and talked about the Porridge that the bears ate. Next, I had him cut/paste different food pictures starting with the "P" sound on the bowl. For review: He pointed to the picture, repeated the word, and the made the "P" sound as I called them out.

"P" Food pictures I used: pumpkin, pasta, pretzel, pickle, pizza, popcorn, potato chips, and pancakes. I simply printed these from my clip-art on my computer.

Craft

We made a simple bear...complete with a bowtie!


Fine Motor Skills

Jonah used a Giant Push Pin to "Punch" along the lines of a Letter P. (Tape the paper down on the carpet or use a small carpet square on the table) After he was finished we held the letter up to the light so he could see the holes. Another way to view the letter is to hold up a flashlight and project the letter on the ceiling--"Letter Stars" in the dark!


Snack

Bear Pancakes for breakfast and Teddy Grahams for afternoon snack.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Love everything! I did the size sorting several months ago with just 'small' and 'big' objects but gald you reminded me to pull that out again and add in 'medium'! This goes perfectly since we are doing bears the next couple days. :)

Sara M. said...

Thank you Michelle!

Sara M. said...

So glad I could help Jen! Let me know how it goes!