blank
blank

Compassion

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Feed the Monster Language Game ~ Once Upon a Book

Photobucket
by Rebecca Emberley & Ed Emberley

Book Summary: Children will stomp their paws, twitch their tails, snort and growl, and wiggle and wriggle along with this bright and bold picture book twist on "If You're Happy and You Know It."
 

To practice identifying letter sounds, we played "Feed the Monster". The game is really simple and can be adapted to different learning levels for your tot.

To start, I used an empty tissue box to create a monster. I cut and glued features to the tissue box, using the opening for a mouth. Your tot could even help make this one day for a craft and then play the game the next day. Once the glue had dried, we gathered our letter magnets to start our game.

In my best "monster voice", I asked for certain letters. For example, I said, "I'm hungry for a letter that is at the beginning of the word COOKIE." My son found the C and "fed the monster". Then we repeated it until the monster was full. Sometimes I varied the monster requests to keep my little guy thinking.

The best part of "Feed the Monster" is that you can tailor it to your child's target learning skills. Shapes, Letters, Numbers, Sight Words, etc. would all work well!

Other Monster Books:
Go Away, Big Green Monster!
There Was An Old Monster!
Glad Monster, Sad Monster
Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug!
Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
Tickle Monster

Sara

No comments: