blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Get Real with God ~ Dinosaurs, A Lesson in Variety


Photobucket


When it comes to dinosaurs I know very little. However, what I do know is very reassuring to me.

You probably already know that there was a great variety of dinosaurs that once roamed the earth. Some were as small as chickens, while other species grew to be as tall as 40 feet! Some were herbivores, some carnivores, and some would eat anything that fell in their path. Through their existence they reflected the creative nature of God. The size, shape, and behavior of each dinosaur reflected God’s love of variety.

We’ve all heard William Cowper’s famous quote:
“Variety’s the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor”.

Variety is something I value very much. It is always reassuring to know that God had a specific design for you. You weren’t created to be a carbon copy of the mother down the street. That mom, even if she makes delicious cookies that all the kids adore, has a trampoline, a pool and a degree in child psychology—wasn’t meant to raise your child. With all her amazing skills she lacks the composition that God required to influence and impact your children toward the direction He laid out for them. Whether our kids entered our family through birth or adoption God had us in mind to parent them. It wasn’t a surprise to Him. Our kids were meant for us. Our variety is what shapes them for God’s special purpose.

Another exciting factor to me is that dinosaurs are commonly referred to as dinosaurs. When my son plays with his toy dinosaurs he doesn’t say “Please pass me the Apatosaurus”. He just plays dinosaurs. Labels are left to the professionals.

Too often we place labels on ourselves and those around us. Each label we affix takes away from God’s special gift of variety. I imagine that when God looks at me he doesn’t think “ there is my blue eyed, Caucasian, curly haired five foot freckled female human” He just wants to spend time with his daughter. All my quirks, qualities, and descriptions were just part of the fun of making me. What really makes me special is that I belong to Him. Once my life has been laid in His hands he’ll take the variety that is Heather and use it for His glory.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

No comments: