blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Get Real with God ~ Fickle Apples

001

Every morning Laffy Taffy wakes up begging me for food. He wakes up before everyone else and is usually famished! So he’ll ask me for a yogurt or a string cheese. This morning he woke up asking for an apple. Cherishing the quiet of the morning and loathing the idea of him crying if I said no, I gave it to him.

004

That silly boy would NOT eat that apple. After a few bites he was trying to get up and leave the table. I must have told him to sit down and eat over a dozen times! He actually starting crying and pouting about eating the apple that he just BEGGED me for!

006

Then it dawned on me…How many times have I begged God for something, then after He graciously gave it to me, complained and whined about it?

Some examples of my guilt:

“Oh Lord please give my husband a job!”

“Oh Lord, why does my husband have to work late? He’s never home anymore…”

“Oh Lord, please give me a baby, nothing would make me happier!”

“This child is driving me crazy, I never get any sleep anymore….ahhh!”

“Please Lord, give us a nice home, big enough for our family with a mortgage we can afford.”

“Why is this house always a mess? Why do I have to clean the bathroom again? All I ever do is clean, clean, clean!”

I’m sure the list could on and on of all the times I’ve complained when God has answered my prayers. I’m fickle, like Jonah in the Bible! Read it, Jonah gets released from the belly of the whale, because of God’s mercy and he turns around and gets upset with God for having mercy on the Ninevites!

How awesome is our God?

“For I know that you are gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, One who relents from doing harm.” Jonah 4:2b

So this morning, instead of getting upset with Laffy for wasting food, I thanked God that he has an older sister who willingly and thankfully finished it for him! :o)

Summer Photo Shoot 075

Father, help me to remember to be thankful, even when things are hard. Help me to hold my tongue when it’s easier to complain than be quiet. And most of all help to recognize when I’ve prayed for something and You’ve answered—this is reason to rejoice, not complain! And thank you for Jesus, who takes my sin and helps me clean up my mess, even though I KNOW I don’t deserve it! AMEN

8 comments:

Vallimasoos said...

What a wonderful way to start off the week!!
THANKS!

Our Family for His Glory said...

Thank-you! What a wonderful reminder to be thankful!! Your words have blessed me so much today!
Jessica

Ruthie said...

This is such a great reminder - thanks so much, I needed this right now!

Amanda said...

I'm so guilty of this too! Great post!

Halfmoon Girl said...

This was a wonderful reminder. I am new to your site and have been enjoying it for the past couple of weeks!

Shelby said...

Great reminder and honesty! I fell into this just tonight. Thank you!

Mama Mandy said...

This is just what I needed...we're planning to move into a bigger house soon & I'm nervous about the increase in my time spent cleaning. God will see us through though! Thanks for the reminder of how much we can be just like the children we are teaching. =)

Araceli said...

this was my son the other day!!!