blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Did You Know ~ Secret Smoothies

Smoothies are a top menu item here at our house. I serve them often as the main meal for lunch and get BIG smiles on those days! I always make enough for me too, since I know that it tastes great and I also need what's loaded inside. I often make Secret Smoothies in honor of my tot-Krash. Krash does not really like veggies, and up until a few months ago wouldn't really eat ANY veggies. He will eat a few now, but not enough variety. Enter the Secret Smoothie-not my invention by any stretch, just something I do to get some veggies in the kid!

I am not a measurement type of girl, so I will do the best I can to share my *recipe* :). First, I always use my Bullet-I couldn't live without this thing. Some people use a blender-for me it was too much hassle. The Bullet made my life so much easier (I also make chilled coffee drinks for myself in it, oh yeah and homemade baby food). Into my Bullet goes:
  • Vanilla (or Plain) Yogurt-preferably organic, low sugar, etc.
  • 1 Banana-adds the sweetness to cover up whatever I hide :)
  • Berries-fresh or frozen (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
  • Kiwi-if we have them
  • Orange Juice-just a little bit, and only sometimes, this is not an always ingredient for us.
  • Flaxseed Meal or Raw Whole Flaxseed-(ground the raw kind in the bullet right before I mix it in)
  • VEGGIES!!!! I have successfully snuck in peas, broccoli, sweet potatoes, carrots, and more!

Before I add the veggies in, I just cook them however I would if I were to serve them as cooked veggies. Sometimes I am ahead of the game and have cubes pre-made (same as home-made baby food cubes), and I will just thaw 1 for the smoothie that day. The key is to not overload the veggies, they have to stay a SECRET!!! Look, he's clueless!!!!

I know Krash isn't getting his full amount of veggies this way but at least it's a small help, and the rest of the yummy stuff is healthy too!

Please read our Did You Know-disclaimer here.

5 comments:

Carissa Blanchard said...

Look at those dark chocolate eyes!

This may sound really dumb, but I don't know what a bullet is! It sounds cool though!

I'm going to try this with Boo-Boo as he's hit a stubborn streak with this eating!

CariSSa :o)

Jolanthe said...

I've made "ice cream" for ours using cabbage, carrots, a little honey and also a touch of fruit juice along with ice.

They eat it up and don't have any idea! :)

Gotta love sneaking stuff into drinks and treats!

Unknown said...

Great plan!

Another great way to get greens into your children - is to give them wheat grass capsules in their juices. I also give our children a green powder that has over 40 veggies in it - with every juice. One teaspoon is equal to one pound of veggies. So if our children don't get enough raw or slightly steamed veggies that day I know they are getting all they need in their juices all day long or smoothies like you!

Email me if you want to know more about the products I use. They are great and we have been using them for over 5 yrs. Both I share about in the book I wrote 3 yrs ago. Working on getting it republished :-)

Love,
Jill

LadySnow said...

He sure looks like he enjoys it. My children love smoothies, but I never thought of adding in veggies. Oh...for those that don't have the magic bullet. Just screw the bottom piece (with the blade) of the blender onto a mason jar. Works just as well. :-)

Pamela said...

Oh Thanks so much for this post. My little one just entered that stage and is refusing anything green! Can't wait to try this!