blank
blank

Compassion

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Get Real with God ~ Who's Your Grandma?


Who’s Your Grandma?
In my opinion, The Little Red Riding Hood is one of the most ridiculous stories ever. I just can’t imagine getting a wolf confused for my Grandma. I mean I know my Grandma and though she does where glasses and have big eyes, they aren’t exactly wolf size - you know?

I don’t think Little Red Riding Hood really knew her Grandma at all or she never would have fallen for such an obvious trick. Unfortunately, there are too many kids today who just don’t connect with the older generation. They are around them enough. They might know the way to their houses and maybe they even know what kind of goodies to place in a basket for them. Do they know what makes them tick though?

Since we moved to Oklahoma I have wondered how my children’s relationship to my Grandparents would change. They used to be able to sit on their laps and watch my Grandma twist the pearls of her neckless in her teeth to tease them. They knew my Grandpa smelled like old spice and his serious approach to children. They saw the way his stern looks could be softened with a hug and knew how he valued obedience. They made cookies with my Grandma and even though they don’t know why, they still insist that I place the cooked ones on newsprint to cool she does. They aren’t exposed to all of the quirks and qualities of my Grandparents anymore and it’s my job to remind them.

History is important and one of the most important histories you will ever share is the history of your own family. The bible tells of the importance of Grandparents with the life of Timothy.

Timothy’s Mother was a Jewish woman and his Father was Greek. His Dad probably didn’t have much to offer in the way of a spiritual foundation. It was his Mom and Grandmother that paved the way to his salvation. In 2Timothy 3:15 (NKJV) Paul instructs Timothy to carry on in the faith. He says “and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” Timothy knew about God in his childhood from hearing his Mom and Grandma talk. In 2 Timothy 1:5 (NKJV) Paul spells it out like this: “when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.”

Exposing our children to the heritage and influence of Godly Grandparents lays a foundation for their future with God.

If you aren’t blessed with Godly Grandparents, honor them anyway. The bible tells us to Honor our parents. It’s an instruction that doesn’t go away once we become parents ourselves. Tell stories and honor them with memories and a legacy passed to your children. Don’t let them be fooled by a wolf in Grandma’s clothing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN! Our parents are very close to our children. They are not saved and yet it is a beautiful relationship all the same. Our children have learned so much about grace because they are not saved - also learned to pray for others they love who don't yet know Jesus. It is important to teach our children compassion for those who yet to know our Lord!

Blessings,
Jill